Phillips, D. D. Born in Mason county, Kentucky, May 1, 1822. At the age of five years his parents moved to Pike
County, Missouri, where he was educated. On May 18, 1843, he married Miss Amelia A. Kennedy, and soon after moved to Ralls
County, where he resided until the death of his wife, March 10, 1847.
He then enlisted in Company E, Third Regiment, Missouri Mounted Volunteers. He had been
in the service but a short time when he was detailed to be one of a party of twenty-eight men to accompany Kit Carson, who was a dispatch carrier, to General Kearney in California.
After accompanying them to Santa Fe, in New Mexico, Carson obtaining a fresh escort, he and his comrades remained at Santa Fe until their respective commanders arrived, after which they proceeded to Chihuahua and Santa Cruz, in the State of Chihuahua, Mexico. Mr. Phillips remained with this command until the Fall of 1848, when he got his honorable discharge.
Returning to Ralls County, he spent the Winter, and in the Spring, in company with three
companions, started across the plains with ox-teams, arriving at Hangtown, now Placerville, September 1, 1849.
After mining at different points for seven years, he came to this county October 16, 1856, and settled on his present estate, comprising two hundred and twenty-three acres, located on Dry
Creek, about eight miles from Healdsburg.
He married his present wife, Mrs. Mary C. McCloud, January, 1855. His children by his first wife are George W. and Gabriel D. By his second wife he had John W., Samuel E., Oscar F., Horace H. and Oliver C.